martes, 3 de febrero de 2015

Not everything in life is fashion... there's also WINE :D

As you know I live in Honduras, a small third world country, and wine is kind of a luxury in here. Well, not a luxury itself, but it's not easy to find high quality bottles of wine. Anyway, us, wine lovers, manage to survive to such lack, and take the best out of everything that is available.

I'm not a big fan of blended wines, but I have found this Argentinian red wine called Astica, which is a mix of Merlot and Malbec. Quite good let me tell you... I've had just this kind since last year, and I've been pleasantly impressed with it. It has a very mild bouquet, perfect for matching it with sweet fruits and jellies, as well as soft flavor cheeses.  Its cost is quite good too, around USD 7.00, which, for you, Americans or Europeans might sound a bit expensive for a supermarket wine, but considering other bottles' prices in my country, this one is quite affordable.



Astica Merlot - Malbec blend
Argentina
There's another kind of wine that is pretty good as well, and very affordable, it's called BareFoot, from California. I have tried about three different years of their Merlot, and 2011 was my favorite. You felt the cherry wood in it, and it's definitely fantastic to be paired with smoked food (cheese, maybe a smoked steak would be great), and some dried fruits as well. This one is found at about USD 11.00 in local supermarkets, and I got so freaking excited to find it in a Chicago supermaket for only USD 5.00. Please don't take me to tell you about the rest of the evening. I simply don't remember LOL.


Barefoot Variety
California, U.S.A
While in Paris, a couple of years ago, I went straight to the supermarket to have a "religious wine experience" hahahaha. I just had like 20 Euro in my pocket to be spent on wine and food. Got some great spiced Gouda (the girl from the grocery store told me it was an awful chesse, a low quality one), but I felt it delicious hahahahaha, my poor palate wasn't that well developed I guess. 
I also found this bordeaux, which I had no idea what it was about,  It turned out to be one of the best red wines I have drunk in my life. It's called Chateau Bellevue Claribes Bordeaux Sainte Foy, 2011, and it costed about USD 10.00. I just would have loved to pair it with a hard aged cheese, like a Pecorino, Agiano, but what I found was a mild aged Gouda, which was ok after all. 


Chateau Bellevue Claribes Bordeaux Sainte Foy 2011
France
Visiting my best girlfriend / sister some years ago, the first thing I saw when I got off the plane was her holding alcohol hahahahahahaha. Some great sake and a bottle of Pata Negra Rioja Reserva, such a delicious wine... my mouth melts remembering it. We paired it with lambchops, Delicious yet affordable wine. No complaints at all.


Pata Negra Rioja Reserva
Spain
And just for the record, when I become billionaire, I will celebrate having some of these amazing Le Pin by Pomerol wines with my loved ones... that might happen in my dreams maybe hahahaha, but hey! every success in life starts with a dream, doesn't it? 


Chateau Le Pin Pomerol 1999
France


Cheers everyone!! 


2 comentarios: